Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pitching From The Heart

This is me, enjoying my music at "The Dunk."
The problem with approaching Week 2 is that the concept of building the perfect pitch is so business oriented, hence far removed from the happy place in my heart where my creative spirit resides.  I can craft pitches for projects and plans that have nothing to do with me.  But to carve out time to treat myself like a business...well that's a new muscle I'm learning to flex.  What I've learned in the process of putting together this pitch is that, even though the business side of things reflects our outer journey as an artist, in order for these things to go the distance, they need to resonate and connect with our inner journey.

The idea of an Elevator Pitch is that one day, I might find myself in an elevator with Clive Davis and get to ride 12 floors with him, which means I would have approximately 15 seconds to tell him what I do, and what I'm about.  "Hi Clive, I'm Lily C. I'm a Singer/Songwriter," probably wouldn't cut it.  But, how do I write something that doesn't sound too much like a desperate sales pitch?  As with goal-setting in Week 1, I realized that the tasks set out in this challenge actually require us to go deeper within ourselves, to discover our unique inherent value (which I believe everyone possesses) and vision, which also means battling any inner demons we might be carrying along the way.  In order to deliver a great pitch, I have to believe in what I am pitching.  That alone can be a great hurdle for any person who has struggled with self-esteem or self-worth.

And then, I had a serendipitous breakthrough.  I had the chance to perform in PEI at a groovy outpost called "The Dunk."  People drive for miles to come to this cozy farmhouse where music is celebrated and enjoyed by all.  And when I say enjoy, I mean ENJOY.  People laugh, cheer and dance!  What a reminder of what music can do, of what my music can do!  In finding the joy of sharing my songs, I had the courage to proceed to crafting my pitch.  As an artist, I think it is important to keep putting yourself out there.  Sometimes we get drowned by life events, work, and tasks that can confuse us into doubting the gift we possess.  There is no better way to experience the wonderfulness of who you are then sharing it with others!

With an inner breakthrough, I was finally able to proceed with the task at hand.   Karyn Ellis from the Challenge community suggested putting together a survey (which you can still partake in by CLICKING HERE).  The survey helped to get the process started, along with the wonderful website suggested by Ariel Hyatt, www.15secondpitch.com.

And so, here is my pitch, drum-roll please....

My name is Lily C.  I'm a singer/songwriter spreading positive vibes with Happy Pop. My music is a fresh combination of Jewel & Nelly Furtado. You will be refreshed and revived. Check me out at: www.lilyc.com

After hearing watching Ariel's videos, and reading some of the pitches of my peers, I think a shorter pitch would be more suitable for on-line branding.  So, here's my mini pitch:

Lily C spreads positive vibes with a fresh pop sound, like Jewel jamming with Nelly Furtado.

Let me know if this works, or doesn't work for you.

Until next time...

4 comments:

Nilbo said...

We all loved your performance at the Dunk - loved how you embraced the spirit and forged ahead, backed by people you didn't know so were forced to trust. And yes, sometimes being forced into situations that terrify or disorient us can be just the catalyst we need to take the next step.

The second pitch - the shorter one - is concise, accurate, and perfect for short meetings. You'll do well with it, I'm sure ...

Karyn said...

Great pitches, Lily! Both would work for different applications. I like the first one in particular cuz you got "happy pop" in there. Woo hoo! I also think it's good to have the call to action implied in "You will be refreshed and revived." (I hear an imaginary "Listen and..." in front.)

That's a lovely photo, too. Full of positive vibes!

Karyn

PS, and thanks for the nod! :)

Debra Alexander said...

Lily, so glad you got to play The Dunk and get back in touch with the music & an appreciative audience! I'm with Karyn on "Happy Pop" ! Maybe, "I'm a singer/songwriter spreading positive vibes with Happy Pop...sounds like Jewel jamming with Nelly Furtado." ?

Aynsley Saxe said...

Hi Lily, I really appreciate how honest & thoughtful you are with your posts. Nelly Furtado jamming with Jewel is an awesome combo! :)