Thursday, November 17, 2005

基隆&地瓜

Starting the Eslite Tour in Keelung was especially meaningful because it is my Dad's hometown. My uncle, his wife, cousin and her husband all came out to support me (you can see them in the second picture below). I tried to imagine my dad as a kid running around in the streets. Unfortunately didn't have the chance to eat at the night market.

可以在基隆開始我的誠品的巡迴讓我很感動因為我爸爸是基隆人。 我的親戚也來鼓勵我 (第二張照片)。 想到小時後的他在基隆的路上玩來玩去。可惜沒時間逛廟口。

Everytime I am reminded of my parents' history in Taiwan I always feel deeply moved at how life brings us to places we would never imagine ourselves. In Keelung I thought of my grandfather working at the fishing docks. I'm sure he never imagined he'd have a Canadian born granddaughter come back to sing. Unfortunately I will never be able to sing to him (he is deceased). I hear it was very difficult making a living those days. My father always says how they were so poor they had to steal yams to survive. Ironically I've been eating yams a lot lately (and they're not cheap anymore) Why? Because last time I went home my Dad kept preaching about the antioxidant properties of yams, how great they are for our digestive system and in preventing cancer. My parents eat yams EVERY MORNING! I myself prefer eating peanut butter and banana toast. But yams are available everywhere. You'll find baked yams, yam desserts or yam soup here on the streets of Taipei. So whenever I can I choose yams for a good snack!

每次想到我父母在台灣的歷史讓我很感動,也更深的體會到我們真的很難猜我們地未來。 我想在港口做工人的爺爺很難想像有一天他會有一個在加拿大出生的孫女回來家鄉唱歌。可惜我沒機會唱給他聽(他已經走了)。聽說那時候過的很辛苦。 我爸爸還分享他如何偷地刮胃了要生存。 我以前不太吃地瓜,不過最近常常吃(雖然感覺越來越不便宜。 為什麼? 因為上叱回加拿大我的爸爸天天(真得是天天!)都會誇耀蕃薯是如此好的食物。 不僅幫助消化,也可以抗癌! 我的父母每天造上都吃蒸的 地瓜。 其實我早上比較喜歡 吃花生醬和香蕉片在全麥土斯上。 不過最近發現處處都有賣各式各樣的地瓜。 我喜歡吃烤的或喝薑絲地瓜湯(線在震在喝),是一個不錯的零食。

Have you had a good yam yet today?
你呢?今天吃了地瓜嗎?

For more information on yams: http://www.ncsweetpotatoes.com/cordell.htm
關於地瓜的營養成分 (中文):http://www.mikefarm.com/landmellon.htm

No comments: